Update: Arrests as Occupy protesters target Seattle port; Longview longshoremen go home

Dec 12, 2011

Police say "multiple" people have been arrested after dozens of protesters blocked an entrance to a Port of Seattle facility.

Police cleared a road near the entrance to Terminal 18 after about 100 Occupy Seattle protesters stopped traffic for about 20 minutes Monday afternoon. But a smaller group remained in front of the terminal, effectively keeping traffic from entering or leaving.

The protest snarled nearby traffic during the evening commute and caused several bus routes to be rerouted or delayed.

Protesters in Bellingham blocked railroad tracks.

Longshoremen at the Longview, Wash., port went home for the day, essentially shutting down the terminal after Occupy Wall Street demonstrators began protesting.

International Longshore & Warehouse Union spokeswoman Jennifer Sargent says the union sent their workers home out of concerns for their "health and safety."

Port of Longview spokesman Ashley Helenberg says the decision to shut down operations was made by both the port and the union. She says about 20 shifts were affected. The port had one vessel to work on Monday.

Sargent says that if union workers participated in the Occupy protest, they did so as individuals, not as part of the union.

ILWU leaders have said they don't support Occupy's protest.

Vancouver, B.C., and elsewhere

Police say Occupy Wall Street demonstrators briefly blocked two gates at Port Metro Vancouver near downtown Vancouver, British Columbia.

The Canadian Press reported demonstrators held up a large banner proclaiming solidarity with Longshore union members involved in a dispute at the Port of Longview, Wash. The disruption lasted for about an hour before the protest moved to a second gate, blocking it for less than 30 minutes before moving on.

In Oakland, Calif., shipping companies and the longshoremen's union agreed to send home about 150 workers, essentially halting operations at two terminals.

In Portland, Ore., authorities shuttered two terminals after arresting two people who were carrying weapons and said they were heading to the protest.