Metro Bus Driver Shot in Seattle, Suspect Fatally Shot by Police

Aug 12, 2013

The man accused of shooting a Metro bus driver on Monday has died, according to police. 

The unidentified man was gunned down by police after he allegedly shot the driver of a Route 27 bus on Third and Seneca shortly before 9 a.m. 

Police said three men boarded the bus through the rear door at Third and Union. When the driver told the men to come up front to pay their fare, two of them got off the bus while the third approached the driver. The man attacked, then shot the driver, according to police. 

The 67-year-old driver sustained non-life threatening injuries, and was conscious and talking, said King County Executive Dow Constantine. He was listed in satisfactory condition.

Two off-duty officers heard the disturbance. One gave the driver first aid and the other chased the suspect. A shot was fired at the officer during the foot chase, police said.

After failing to hijack a service truck and a car, the suspected gunman boarded a second bus near Second and Seneca, according to police. The driver and the passengers managed to safely evacuate as police came on board. Officers opened fire, hitting the man. The suspect was taken to Harborview Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

A police officer also sustained minor injuries, possibly from glass shards. No passengers were seriously injured. 

Four police officers have been placed on paid administrative leave as is standard during investigations into officer-involved shootings.

Police urged anyone with video footage of the incident to contact them at 206-233-5000.

"This is a rare situation on a Metro bus," said Assistant Police Chief Paul McDonagh.

On Nov. 27, 1998, a bus driver was killed when he was shot while driving across the city's Aurora Bridge. Mark F. McLaughlin, 44, died after the bus smashed through a railing, bounced off an apartment building and crashed into the ground about 50 feet below.

McLaughlin was shot by passenger Silas Cool, 43, who authorities said committed suicide. The 33 other passengers were hurt, with one dying the next day.