Electrical fire temporarily closes PLU building

Nov 17, 2010

Update - Thursday, Nov. 18th,  4:30 pm

This update from PLU Communications:

The Pierce County Fire Marshal has ruled that yesterday's small fire in the Morken Center was accidental. It was caused by a faultycontroller in a heating and air conditioning unit.


An electrical fire has closed down a Pacific Lutheran University building for the remainder of the day. Classes in the Morken Center for Learning & Technology were canceled after the small blaze erupted this morning in a computer center air conditioner.  No one was injured.

Central Pierce Fire & Rescue extinguished the blaze. It sent smoke through the building, according to a university-wide email. The Morken Center is located on PLU's lower campus area.

The LEED certified building serves as a communications hub, classroom and academic office facility.